Thursday, July 30, 2009

Friggin' Wawa

I am often at the check out at the local Wawa… purchasing a sandwich… or Coffee... or maybe fruit and cottage cheese for breakfast….whatever.

And I tell the checkout person, “No thank you. I don’t need a bag”.

Now, I admit that sometimes these Wawa worker folks are just to fast for me and they get the bag all ready before I say my standard phrase.

Here’s the kicker. When I tell them that I don’t need the bag they have prepared, they THROW THE BAG AWAY! It boggles my mind!

All this talk about being friendly to the earth, reducing, reusing, recycling… blah blah blah… it’s literally everywhere you turn these days. Do I really need to explain that I wish them to use the bag I have forgone for the next customer? It seems obvious to me that when I say “No thank you. I don’t need a bag”, it does not mean “oh yes and by the way just throw it in the trash and waste it anyway!”

Is it not clear that I am trying to do my part by not wasting plastic bags when I can just as easily carry my purchases in my own personal reusable bag? The worst part is that this KEEPs happening. What's the point of trying if we're not all on the same accord?


I’m seriously blown right now.

2 comments:

SBG: that Skinny Brown Girl said...

what? they throw a perfectly good bag away? thats it! im calling corporate!

Lauren said...

how FRUSTRATING!! i always try to catch them before they get it off the 'hook.' but sometimes i forget, and then i try to say- "oh, i don't need a bag. please save that one for your next customer..." i'm not sure it *always* works, but i try to reinforce with them *why* i'm not taking a bag! i seriously think our country should adopt ireland's policy of charging customers for disposal bags. (IKEA has already adopted this policy as a store, and whole foods has gotten rid of plastic bags altogether.) ireland cut their plastic bag consumption by 90% by instituting the fee/tax! THAT is how you get serious about saving the environment!!